Tuesday, January 19, 2010

True Conversion



"Stated simply, true conversion is the fruit of faith, repentance, and consistent obedience. Faith comes by hearing the word of God and responding to it. You will receive from the Holy Ghost a confirming witness of things you accept on faith by willingly doing them. You will be led to repent of errors resulting from wrong things done or right things not done. As a consequence, your capacity to consistently obey will be strengthened. This cycle of faith, repentance, andconsistent obedience will lead you to greater conversion with its attendant blessings. True conversion will strengthen your capacity to do what you know you should do, when you should do it, regardless of the circumstances." - Elder Richard G. Scott, April 2002


Sometimes I truly believe that I am converted, but then find myself falling back into less faithful prayer and scripture study either because I give it less emphasis or other things in life cause me to become distracted.  By the time I realize this, I make new commitments to be better and head back that direction.  How do I fully enter the cycle of faith, repentance and consistent obedience as Elder Scott says?  I guess, as he says, the more you are able to stay in that cycle, the more you are strengthened to be more consistent.

No comments: